You and I have had a beautiful bout for the past few months. I travelled to Hong Kong for a month, because I could, then came back to NYC where our relationship fully blossomed. Now that I have found a full time job, I am sad to say we must part ways. But I will always remember you. Here are the things I will miss about you:
- Constantly living in yoga pants all day until/unless something/someone requires you to put on real pants.
- Computer + bed + awesome Spotify playlist= “jobhunting”
- Pleading with friends to get off of work early and join me for Happy Hour.
- Emails sent to various friends and family with READ THIS WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE! that typically include links to 5-7 articles only an unemployed person has time to read — they never get a chance.
- Not wearing pants. Or real people clothes for that matter.
- Googling myself to check out my quirky online presence.
- Going to Trader Joes during non-peak hours 😦
- Seeing the same lady at Trader Joes and her dog Mack.
- Watching Real Housewives or Bad Girls Club during the day.
- Hanging out at coffee shops with other unemployed or “freelancers” and freelancers.
- Fostering relationships with favorite bars and bartenders (like Oficina Latina) during the week.
- Having insomnia and falling asleep at 4am, waking up at 8am, and sleeping until 1pm.
- Not answering to anyone … or anything (phone, alarm clocks, the door)
- Shooting the shit with delivery men / people who knock on the door for unusual amounts of time. One time the UPS man said he had to go during our conversation, to which I responded sassily, “Oh that’s right you have a job”.
- Getting away with wearing the same outfit everyday.
- Finding creative ways to avoid the “so what are you doing nowadays?” conversation with people. Answer: “What am I NOT doing nowadays?” Then wink… they’ll leave it at that.
- Finding creative ways to avoid people.
- Finding creative ways to talk about your day when your roommates and friends asked you what you did with your day…What’s an exciting way to say NOTHING?
- Getting your phone calls (and emails and texts) ignored by your family and friends because they’re coming in at a constant, rapid rate.
- Spending hours on hours trying to find the most perfect GIF to illustrate your point.
- Spending hours on hours trying to find the most perfect cover photo.
- Actually identifying with Marnie from GIRLS.
- NOT CARING
Even my roommates will miss having you around (read: they’ll miss the baked goods when I bored/drunk/angry bake)…
— Dan Smith (@dsmithjo) April 23, 2014
For the sake of my shopping/drinking habits, I do, however, hope to not see you in a long time (if ever). It was fun while it lasted, but, as they say…
All good things must come to an end.
It was nice knowing you. I have to move on with my life and get back to that working girl life.